Tuesday, 7 January 2014

Teresa Currie (art)

I have written a couple of times about art exhibitions by groups tutored by Teresa Currie - the Trinity Art Group and Church Street Art Group. Now Teresa herself will be exhibiting a selection of her own paintings, photography, painting on wood and screen prints at the Under Ground Theatre. The work will be on show and for sale from this Friday, the 10th of January, until the 1st of February. I asked Teresa to tell us more about herself and her work:

TC: I have been working as a professional artist for over 30 years and have exhibited work in Sussex, Surrey and Central London. Originally from Surrey, I studied art and design at Croydon College and became a cartographer and technical illustrator. I went on to obtain an Art History and Classics First Class Honours degree, and a PGCE in art and design. I have been teaching art independently for the last three years. Currently, I am teaching two local art classes with a third planned for the new year. I am also a regular visiting tutor and demonstrator to art groups in Sussex and Surrey.

TC: At present I am working with a range of mediums including watercolour, pen and wash, soft pastel, graphite, charcoal, photography, painting on wood and print making. The biggest impact on my own practice as a visual artist is from teaching others how to ‘look’ and to be creative with colour and composition. As a tutor I am always researching new techniques and the process of breaking things down changes the way that I view my own work. I believe that you should always be critical of your work in order to progress as an artist. I am inspired by dreams (many of my pictures are representations of dreams that I have had!), film, poetry, literature, architecture, wildlife and by other artists, both contemporary and historical: Ana Mendieta, Gerhard Richter, Robert Smithson, and Piero Della Francesca, Andrea Mantegna.


Under Ground Theatre, Fridays 10:00-12:30 and Saturdays 10:00-16:00, 10th Jan to 1st Feb.
Free admission. Art is also on show to patrons during any Under Ground Theatre event.

No comments:

Post a Comment