Friday, 6 September 2013

Devil's Chimney by Tin Larrick (book)

I've been on the lookout for more Eastbourne-based fiction since I enjoyed reading The Generation Club by Annette Keen earlier in the year. A name that kept cropping up was Tin Larrick and I had several recommendations to read his police thriller Devil's Chimney. So I took advantage of our recent Kindle purchase to download the novel and discover what all the fuss is about!

Tin Larrick is a former police officer so I guess he certainly knows what he is talking about when it comes to process and procedures. I liked his descriptions of various areas of Eastbourne and recognising a place as a story unfolds is very helpful in bringing the tale to life. I even learned quite a bit that I didn't already know, appreciating the little snippets of information about the town's history. The plot itself cracks along at a good pace and I never lost interest. I did find some of Barnes' escapades a bit far fetched - why is revenge always so personal in thrillers?! - and the hero appears to be virtually indestructible, but, all in all, this is a good novel and I'll be getting Tin Larrick's second book, Lone Shark, in due course.