Tuesday, 3 September 2013

Cabaret (musical theatre)

photo by Keith Pattison 
I love Cabaret! It's my favourite musical and I even like the film version too although I much prefer the darker stage show. The best performance I have seen was actually an amateur group in Haywards Heath, maybe fifteen years ago now. The last professional production to come to Eastbourne was five years ago - I - was sure it was more recent until I started researching this post! - and starred Wayne Sleep as a rather odd Emcee. Not 'Joel Gray' bizarre, just odd. Hopefully Will Young will be better suited to the role in this autumn's production!

Based on John Van Druten's 1951 play I Am a Camera, which was in turn adapted from the 1939 novel Goodbye to Berlin by Christopher Isherwood, Cabaret tells the story of the relationship between nightclub singer Sally Bowles and naive writer Cliff Bradshaw. The story is set around the debauched nightclub as Nazism is rising in Berlin.

The national tour began last week at the New Wimbledon theatre so I expect that the first reviews will be published by the time you're reading this. Rufus Norris' production was well received in the West End where Will Young won London Newcomer of the Year from WhatsOnStage for the Emcee. According to my email from ATG in August, the full cast list is Will Young, Siobhan Dillon as Sally Bowles, Lyn Paul as Fraulein Schneider, with Matt Rawle (Cliff), Linal Haft (Herr Schultz) and Nicholas Tizzard (Ernst). Varlerie Cutko will play Fraulein Kost and the ensemble includes Alastair Postlewaite, Alessia Lugoboni, Alexzandra Sarmiento, Cydney Uffindell-Phillips, Emily Bull, Luke Fetherston, Oliver Roll and Shahla Tarrant.

Congress Theatre, Tue 1st to Sat 5th Oct, 19:30.
Thu and Sat matinees, 14:30.
Tickets various prices, available online, by calling 01323 412000, or in person at the Box Office and the Tourist Information Centre.