Saturday, 15 June 2013

Trinity Art Group Exhibition

Hand painted owl box 
I received a lovely email from local art tutor Teresa Currie on Tuesday. She wanted to let me know that her evening class, Trinity Art Group, are going to be holding their first exhibition on Saturday the 22nd of June. On display and for sale they will have original artworks, prints, cards, photography, textiles and other crafts. Trinity Church is the one at the Triangle in Willingdon, just opposite the little Co-Op, and the Number 51 bus stops right outside!

Teresa runs two art groups in Willingdon: the Church Street Art Group who meet on a Monday 3-5pm and Trinity Art Group who meet on a Wednesday 7-9pm. Church Street started in February 2011 and Trinity in April 2012. Budding artists can choose to attend one or both groups and I am told there are a few spaces in each at the moment. Pop along to the exhibition or contact Teresa if you'd like to find out more.

Teresa Currie is a professional artist and tutor who does sessional work with different art groups in the Sussex and Surrey area. She spoke to me about her aims for both Art Groups:

TC: As my degree is in Art History and Classics I like to emphasize the impact of other artists by tying in specific movements to the practical sessions. So rather than teaching Art History as a separate subject I like to integrate it into the sessions in relation to the practice of the artists in the group. I think my students can learn a lot from studying the works of other artists. My aim for the group is to encourage and build on their existing skills and teach them to value their work but to also be critical of their own practice.


(This reminded me of the set-up of a play I saw recently at the Devonshire Park. In The Pitmen Painters an amateur group discover their own artistic talent through appreciating existing work.)

TC: Every six weeks the sessions are structured into a scheme of work with a theme for each week. Subjects covered in the sessions are: observational drawing, colour theory, figure drawing, perspective and using different mediums. Colour is a very important aspect of being a creative artist and a major consideration when producing any artwork (unless it is black and white!). The groups are suitable for all abilities and I aim to spend time with each student during the sessions as well as doing a demonstration of the subject. 

I tried to get Teresa to name-drop some of the artists whose work we might see at Trinity Church but she maintained a discreet silence.

TC: My group are quite shy so I better not mention any names! They are a very different but talented group and I am impressed with the progress that they have made and I know the show will be good.

Trinity Church, Sat 22nd Jun, 10:00-15:00.

Free admission.