Thursday, 14 March 2013

Cyril Edward Power (art)

The Tube Station by
Cyril Edward Power
I'm sure as far as Eastbourne Framing Centre was concerned, I was far too excited by the presence of a particular greeting card in their shop when I popped in to visit on Saturday. The reason was that we had seen a full-size print of this lino-cut image in a tiny shop in Arundel last summer. I had seriously considered buying it as I love the curves and shapes, but the vendor kept pushing the money side of the purchase, how it would appreciate in value and what a great deal he was offering. He didn't even mention the artist's name and I found that very off-putting! So I didn't buy it then, but now I have a mini version to put up on the stairs.

Cyril Edward Power is not the first deceased artist I have mentioned on this blog, but I believe he is the first to get a post to himself. Born in 1872 in Chelsea, he was encouraged to draw from an early age by his artist father, Edward William Power. Cyril was a talented architect, being awarded the Sloane Medallion by the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1900, and I think this knowledge is an important facet of his art. The image above, The Tube Station, was done in 1925 which was the same year as Power co-founded The Grosvenor School Of Modern Art in London. Cyril Power died in 1951 aged 78.

Eastbourne Framing Centre, Mondays to Saturdays, 9:00-17:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment