Saturday, 23 February 2013

Maggie Boyle (music)

photo by Nigel Hillier
The film title Patriot Games grabbed my attention and led to the writing of this post. I hadn't previously been aware of Maggie Boyle, although when I mentioned her to Dave he recognised the name immediately, but included in a great catalogue of work are her beautiful vocals on the Patriot Games soundtrack. I used to love Sean Bean!

In March, Maggie will be playing at the Lamb Folk Club in Eastbourne's Old Town together with acoustic guitarist Paul Downes. She is an internationally famous traditional singer and flautist who began her musical life in the vibrant Irish community of 1960s London. Since then she has sung, played and recorded both solo and with many other artists including The Chieftains, Bert Jansch and Steve Tilston. Her current album Won't You Come Away has Paul Downes on guitar and also features Bellowhead's Jon Boden on fiddle. I expect Maggie and Paul will play some songs from it at the Lamb but in the meantime I've embedded a YouTube of one of the songs, Old Man's Retreat, below. I love how the birdsong fits with the music! There are lots of other live songs performed in various collaborations on Maggie's YouTube channel so do click through for a listen.

Upstairs At The Lamb, Wed 20th March, 20:00.
Tickets £6 on the door.