Thursday, 7 February 2013

Lucinda Guy (art)

The Polegate Cafe is not on a hill!
The talented Eastbourne artist Lucinda Guy first came to my attention when she had one of the stalls at the second Terminus Road Art Expo back in November. I remember she was constantly working away on a portrait then, despite the bitterly cold day, and I was amazed that she is so young (only 21) and yet has so much skill.

Today (2nd Feb) I spotted a display of her distinctive work in the window of The Polegate Cafe. I believe this may be Lucinda's first solo 'exhibition' although, by the time this post is published on Wednesday it will temporarily have gone. Not to worry though! I have been told that the portraits are moving to Hailsham's Chapter 12 Wine Bar until just after Valentine's Day and will then be returning to Polegate. If you haven't visited either Chapter 12 or The Polegate Cafe yet, perhaps you could use Lucinda's work as an excuse to venture in! Both are friendly and welcoming and the Cafe certainly does a good fried breakfast.

I asked Lucinda how she discovered her talent.
LG: I’ve always loved art since a young age and was constantly glued to the TV show ‘Art Attack’, having to make everything from a monster bin to a princess castle made from toilet rolls! It wasn’t until I started my GCSE’s that I really started to take art seriously, and I drew my first portrait at 16. Not the greatest drawing in the world but I practiced and practiced for a year before I was asked to take place in a group exhibition. Since then my art has kept growing and I’ve been very lucky to be part of several exhibitions and who knows where it will take me in the next few years!

Lucinda's portraits are available to buy online through her Etsy shop and you can keep up to date with works-in-progress by liking her Facebook page. Lucinda is also happy to discuss commissions and you can contact her through Etsy and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment