Thursday, 28 February 2013

Alice In Wonderland (ballet)

I was lucky enough to catch a recording of the Royal Ballet's then new production of Alice In Wonderland when it was televised two Christmases ago. The whole ballet is a delight from start to finish with tremendous choreography by Christopher Wheeldon and imaginative sets designed by Bob Crowley. I am smiling as I write this as I have just remember how Alice 'grows', but I won't spoil the surprise for those who haven't seen it yet.

The Royal Opera House will be screening a worldwide live performance of its Alice In Wonderland revival at the end of March and one of the chosen cinemas is Eastbourne's Cineworld in Sovereign Harbour. I definitely recommend booking tickets soon, if you have not already, as this ballet will probably be a sell-out. If it isn't, it certainly should have been! The broadcast will last just under three hours and includes two intervals.

Alice will be danced by Royal Ballet principal dancer Lauren Cuthbertson and I think I remember that the role was choreographed specifically with her in mind. The double role of Jack/The Knave of Hearts will be Federico Bonelli with Edward Watson as Lewis Carroll/The White Rabbit. Mother and the tremendous The Queen of Hearts is Zenaida Yanowsky who I last saw in the ROH broadcast of Swan Lake in October when she starred as the delicate Odette and villainous Odile. My favourite character in the whole Alice ballet, the Mad Hatter will be tap danced by the talented Steven Macrae. I loved the way his staccato tapping adds a creeping darkness to his performance.

Cineworld, Thu 28th Mar, 19:15.
Tickets £17 adult, £13.50 children, available online, by calling 0871 200 2000 or in person from the machines in the foyer.