Friday, 11 January 2013

Victoria Brook (artist)

The Library by Victoria Brook
I think Eastbourne artist Victoria Brook is destined for great things! I was first introduced to her work at the Francis Perry Gallery when I visited before Christmas and Jill very proudly showed me around the examples they had on show. Plus, when you've finished reading this blog post, Philip Perry wrote up an interesting interview with Victoria for the Nov/Dec/Jan issue of ethemagazine. There might still be a few copies around if you haven't already seen it. (New issue out in a week or so!)

Victoria graduated from Reading University in 2008 with a first class degree in Fine Art. Having grown up in Eastbourne, it is great to see that she has stayed in the town and now works from a studio here "with a big window". She is inspired by children's literature, particularly authors such as Tove Jansson, Shirley Hughes and Edward Gorey. Some of the prints I saw were inspired by the Philip Pullman Dark Materials books, and I can certainly see Gormenghast in The Library, although I have no idea if Victoria did! The accompanying photo from my phone really doesn't do the image justice so do make time to seek out 'the real thing' if you can. (I believe there is a sale on at Francis Perry at the moment but I don't expect that these prints will have been reduced!)

All of Victoria's paintings are available as Giclee prints in various sizes and are limited to 150 of each image. She is happy to discuss bespoke pieces and also undertakes commissions for commercial work, portraits and book illustration.

Francis Perry Gallery, Mon-Sat 10:00-17:00. Free admission.

No comments:

Post a Comment