Friday, 28 December 2012

Lesley Collinson (artist)

Winter Walk by Lesley Collinson
I had heard that Chapter 12 in Hailsham was going to be hosting a Lesley Collinson art exhibition in December but I had mistakenly thought it was just a one day affair - on a day when I was already committed to being elsewhere! However, when I went along for the Pocketsize gig last Friday, I was pleasantly surprised to see several of Lesley's paintings adorning the walls.

Based in East Sussex, Lesley paints mostly in oils and is inspired both by the natural world around her, by its spirituality and energy. She has been fascinated by art since early childhood with Van Gogh and Cezanne being particularly important to her. She paints works for sale and is also available for commissions, landscapes, buildings and pet portraits. Lesley is also a talented photographer working mostly in black and white to produce stunning landscape images. My favourite of those on show was entitled Contemplation and there are several others in the back room.

The paintings at Chapter 12 showcase a variety of styles. The first you will see as you enter the bar are a trio of stone arches and doorways inspired by Scotney Castle. Don't miss the largest work, the vibrant landscape High And Over, directly above these arches. Mind the steps as you crick your neck to see it! As you order your drinks, you can peruse a selection of small spiritual and abstract paintings on the easel, before moving across the room to what was possibly my favourite image, Winter Walk. I am also a keen walker, albeit not a dog owner, and this view is exactly somewhere I could choose to go. Another which caught my eye is Autumn Leaves, a gorgeously coloured imagined landscape which I am hoping never sells because it is perfectly positioned at the moment! The reds positively glow through the dark wood railings of the upper level and I thought this made it particularly effective, drawing me upstairs to view it properly.

Chapter 12, Mon-Sun, 12:00-24:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment