Wednesday, 21 November 2012

Holy Motors (film)

I've been aware of Holy Motors for a couple of months but it wasn't until I saw the trailer before Untouchable last week that I started to seriously consider it. I think the poster art has been putting me off. However, as I have just discovered this will be the Hailsham Film Club screening for December, I've had second thoughts. In the several years we've been going to their screenings, there's only been one film that I really didn't 'get' (Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives), so I'm happy to trust their judgement!

Written and directed by Leos Carax, Holy Motors was originally intended to be a big-budget film in English but investors were difficult to come by so Carax scaled-down his plans including the cheaper digital filming system. Holy Motors is now a French-German production with its dialogue in French, English, Chinese and Merdogon. The character of Mr Oscar was specifically written for Carax's regular collaborator Denis Lavant and the film also stars Edith Scob, Eva Mendes, Michel Piccoli and Kylie Minogue. Reviewers are describing it as everything from 'enigmatic' to 'barking mad' but, so far, all the comments I've seen have been positive.

Holy Motors begins as Le Dormeur (Leos Carax) awakes and wanders through a secret doorway from his apartment to a cinema during the screening of a film. At the same time, Mr Oscar (Denis Lavant) is driven to work in a white limousine where he acts in a variety of scenarios including a deathbed melodrama, a gangster film, and a musical with Kylie Minogue.

Hailsham Pavilion, Tue 11th Dec, 19:45.
Tickets £6.50 (£5 concessions), available online, by calling 01323 841414 or in person at the Box Office.