Wednesday, 14 November 2012

Early Ghost (music)

I was delighted to re-discover Early Ghost while researching the Towner's Night Folk: Embrace The Dark event happening later this month. Having enjoyed their set when they supported the brilliant Beirut at the Winter Garden in 2010 (was it really that long ago?) I recognised their distinctive sound and bought their debut album, Cadaques. 

Formed in 2009, Early Ghost have already shared stages with names such as First Aid Kit, Sea Of Bees and the aforementioned Beirut. The six-piece band is based along the South Coast and comprises of Sam Allen, Hugh Aynsley, Zoe Brownrigg, Karl Fitzgerald, Mike O'Malley and Sam Watson. They play an unusual blend of folk and western music fused with a variety of cultural influences. I saw it described as spaghetti-folk on their Facebook page and this is a pretty accurate moniker. I've picked up on both a Spanish and an Mexican vibe, and there are also strong English folk roots in the mix.

Cadaques, named after a small town on the Spanish coast, was released in September 2012 and the artwork on the cover is by the multi-talented Karl Fitzgerald. It is available to purchase from Bandcamp as either a CD or by digital download, and is also on Spotify and iTunes.
I've been listening to my new download on on the bus for the past few days and the album is definitely feel-good music. Even the slower songs have an infectious energy and I think this album might well become one of my favourites.

Towner Gallery, Sat 24th Nov. 
Event from 20:00, but I'm not sure what time Early Ghost will be playing.


No comments:

Post a Comment