Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Gef Tom Son (jewellery)

 Following on from my post about Hilary Bravo, another great jewellery discovery I made recently is Gef Tom Son
I was encouraged to actually explore the Enterprise Centre properly by getting involved with an EastbourneCan cashmob. Talking to some of the shop owners, I was initially surprised to find out that a lot of local residents don't know that the Enterprise exists, let alone where it is - behind the station - but then I realised how many times I just pass it by as well. There are dozens of independent shops selling a wide variety of unusual items that you won't find anywhere else in Eastbourne, as well as services like the hairdresser & barber, and food from the butcher, the fishmonger and the cupcake shop.

Gef Tom Son has been making gorgeous semi-precious jewellery for at least fifteen years and his shop is a wonderful Aladdin's cave of necklaces, bracelets, pendants and earrings. I visited during the Jubilee weekend and Gef told me he was very moved by the event, having previously worked at Buckingham Palace. With this history, he obviously understands classic and elegant jewellery and has a sharp eye for colour combinations. He uses over seventy varieties of stone including corals, freshwater pearls, rubies, lapiz lazuli, turquoise and amethysts and every item is handcrafted. You can watch him work while you browse, and see how much care is taken. Much of the jewellery is more affordable than I expected from the window displays. Although there certainly are a few heirloom pieces, there also really are choices for all budgets.

Enterprise Centre, Mon-Sat, 09:00-17:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment